Ballyhegan School

As the forgoing notes appear to indicate the school on the Ballyhegan site was first occupied in 1869. The history of the school is probably most accurately traced in exploring the biographical material relating to the teachers who are remembered particularly those of Henry and James Lee and more recently that of Joe Rafferty.

The following memories were written by Joe Rafferty Principal Teacher of Ballyhegan Primary School at the time of the Bicentary of the Church of The Immaculate Conception , Mullavilly in 1971 and on the occasion of the  refurbishment of St Patrick’s Church Stonebridge in 1981.

Mr Rafferty served from 1939 until 1982 and gives insight into this period of primary school education in the parish